Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Shining




I give you...the greatest horror epic of all time! The Shining is Stanley Kubrick's only horror believe it or not. Staring Jack Nicholson as... Jack Torrance. Haha. I stand by this as the best Stephen King film and one of the best horror film ever.




When I first saw this, I had no idea what to expect. About a year ago, during Halloween on like HBO or Showtime. I also think it was my first Kubrick film...no that was 2001. But yeah, it disturbed me. I also began reading the book but never got through it. I don't remember why. One day I'll finish it.




Like most book to movie adaptations thinks get lost. Some of which are details of the lady in the bathroom and moving hedge animals. Well, I can see why Kubrick cut out the hedge demons. He wanted his movie to much more grounded in reality. Legend says King hated this movie. Probably because Kubrick cut detail of Jack's alcoholism, which was very personal to King and a important part of the book.




In case you don't know, The Shining is this magical telepathy connection to the dead, spirits or something. If you understand it, you may be able to harness it. But if things get out of control, it will drive you mad. Jack Torrance embodies the evil uncontrolled side, while Danny, his son, manages to keep it from ripping him apart. Its hard to sum up this movie in a short blog and i really don't want to ruin it for any one so just see it.

2 comments:

Jane Hards Photography said...

I did miss the moving hedge animals from the book, but the cinema photography in the film is stunning. Jack is superb.

Nathan said...

yeah king's shining and kubricks shining are 2 diffrent monsters.